Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken Sausage
Makes 4 Servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes
Nutritional Info | Calories: 510 | Protein: 29 | Fat: 28 | Carbs: 34
- 2 packages (24 oz.) cooked chicken-apple sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, then halved
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1 small or medium squash)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh sage or parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Toss diced squash and carrots with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, or about 30 minutes.
- While the squash is cooling, heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned – about 4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Place squash, carrots, celery, onion, sage, chicken broth, 2 ½ cups water and pinch of salt to the pot. Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, about 15 more minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender in batches, then return to the pot and add the sausage. Top with sage, salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Take advantage of orchard season and dig into this delicious fall classic.
Backed Artichoke Chicken
Winner, winner, chicken artichoke dinner! Impress your friends by making looks-hard-but-isn’t weeknight dinner.