Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken Sausage
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes | Servings: 4
1 Serving | Calories: 510 | Protein: 29 | Fat: 28 | Carbs: 34
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1 small or
- medium squash)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 tbs. coconut oil
- 2 packages (24 oz.) of cooked chicken-apple sausage, cut into ½-inch pieces, then halved
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh sage or parsley leaves
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss diced squash and carrots with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, or about 30 minutes.
- While the squash is cooling, heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned — about 4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Place squash, carrots, celery, onion, sage, chicken broth, 2½ cups water and pinch of salt to the pot. Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and continue simmering until the vegetables are tender, about 15 more minutes.
- Purée the soup in a blender in batches, then return to the pot and add the sausage. Top with sage, salt and pepper, and enjoy!