Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
4 Servings | Calories 360 | Protein 15 | Carbs 48 | Fat 14
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian
- 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 8 oz. block of tempeh OR 12 oz. shrimp (cooked and deveined)
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter, no added sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. coconut aminos or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. water, as needed
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a medium skillet, warm sesame oil until melted. Add your protein (shrimp or tempeh) and sauté on medium-high heat. Cook the shrimp for about 4 minutes, careful not to overcook (since they are precooked). For the tempeh, cook for about 4 minutes until golden brown, then flip and cook the other side for another 4 minutes. Remove from heat once finished and set aside.
- On a clean surface lay out all of your ingredients – cucumber, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, mint, cilantro, and tempeh. Fill a wide bowl or shallow pan with about 1 inch of water and submerge a spring roll wrapper until it starts to soften, about 15 seconds. Remove from water before it becomes completely pliable – it will continue to soften and if it’s too soft it will be easily rippable and difficult to maneuver.
- Place the wrapper on a flat surface and gently layer in a little bit of each ingredient. Typically 1-2 slices of each veggie and a few leaves of the greens will fill it up. Fold in the sides of the paper – start on the bottom, then each of the sides, and finishing with the top. The paper should stick together easily. Repeat until you run out of ingredients – you should have enough to make 6-8 rolls. Set rolls to the side.
- In a small mixing bowl, add peanut butter, oil and soy sauce and microwave for about 10 seconds to melt. If still too thick, continue to microwave in 10 second increments until the oils are runny and easy to mix. Remove from the microwave and add the seasoning, mixing well. Add water here as needed to attain your preferred consistency.
- Let the peanut butter sauce mixture cool, then dip your rolls and enjoy!