As you kick off your transformation journey, you might consider starting off with a safe and effective detox program. But what exactly does that mean?
Toxins are all around us. In our food, the water we drink, the air, cleaning supplies and cosmetics. And as the environment becomes increasingly toxic, exposure adds up in our bodies.
Although detoxification is a natural process our bodies do constantly without us knowing it, your organ systems can become overworked and begin to slow down, due to the alarming number of chemicals we’re exposed to in today’s environment. You may want to consider a detox if you don’t eat protein at every meal or a quality multivitamin, are under stress, consume processed foods, use prescription drugs (including birth control) or have a history of yo-yo dieting.
As we continue to disrupt the body’s natural detoxification system, it will begin to store toxins in your organs, fatty tissue and connective tissue. In addition to toxin build-up, the immune system will get overwhelmed and decrease in function. In turn, poisons and microbes will accumulate and disrupt metabolic pathways. The result can be weight gain and obesity, insulin resistance (diabetes), hypothyroidism, poor digestion, allergies/intolerances, chronic inflammation, fatigue, decreased memory, impaired immunity, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and cancer.
An effective and safe detoxification program can help support this process. Besides fat loss, other benefits of a detox include improved skin clarity, better sleep and energy, and improved digestive and cognitive function, and mood. For more information on these benefits, check out this post outlining the 6 reasons to D.TOX.
Life Time’s D.TOX program helps support the body’s natural detoxification system by providing it with the key nutrients needed for your organs of detoxification to work at full capacity. The D.TOX kit contains two products used to make daily shakes that complement a whole-foods nutrition plan of approved foods, and provide the key nutrients to help support your body’s natural detoxification system.
If you want other recommendations to support your natural detoxification system, see below. These (along with additional recommendations and supplements) are provided when you purchase a D.TOX Kit.
D.TOX Approved Guidelines:
- Eat whole, unprocessed foods, including organic fruits and vegetables, cage-free eggs, antibiotic and hormone free beef, wild-caught fish, organic beans and legumes, and raw nuts and seeds.
- Include food sources high in protein, especially amino acids that help bind and excrete toxins. These include cysteine (eggs and whey protein), glycine (veal, fish, beets, and legumes), and glutathione (asparagus and walnuts).
- Avoid added sugars, hydrogenated oils, high-fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, excess caffeine and alcohol, chemical additives, preservatives and food dyes.
- Eliminate common food intolerances, such as gluten, corn, eggs and dairy. This will help provide the best possible support for the liver and gastrointestinal tract as their function improves.
- Ensure proper hydration by drinknig ½ your body weight in ounces of filtered water.
- Ensure adequate fiber intake from vegetables, some fruit, and beans. Natural sources of fiber help prevent constipation and aid in the detoxification.
- Ensure proper supplementation. Dietary changes alone are not sufficient to heal the gut and eliminate toxins from the body.
- Work up a sweat by regular exercise and sauna use. Exercise helps increase the rate of blood filtration and toxin removal. When fat is burned, toxins stored in fat are released. Us a sauna 2-3 times per week to also increase sweat rate and aid in toxin removal.
rest & recover
Recovery is a critical component of any exercise program. Take the day off from your workouts and instead participate in a yoga class at your club or take a long walk around the neighborhood.
check in along the way